Opening ceremony director dismissed after past comments on Holocaust, Tokyo 2020 says

RSS NEWS Uncategorized

This Post was originally published here: Source Link

The Olympic Rings are photographed ahead of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo
The Olympic Rings are seen in front of the skyline during sunset, three days ahead of the official opening of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan, July 20, 2021. REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach

July 22, 2021

TOKYO (Reuters) – The director of the opening ceremony of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics has been dismissed, organisers said on Thursday, following news reports about his past comments on the Holocaust.

Tokyo 2020 President Seiko Hashimoto told a briefing that Kentaro Kobayashi had been dismissed because of past comments that made fun of a tragedy.

(Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka; Writing by David Dolan; Editing by Shri Navaratnam)